Baby Stepping

Following up on my commitment at the end of the last post, I've been looking for a good way to "Baby Step" into a real foods habit.  I've been praying about it and trying to swallow my pride and listen to my husband when he tells me I'm moving too fast and taking on too much.  I get so excited about things and I want to try it all today!  The downside is that I can't keep it all up and before too long I've burnt out and dropped it all. 

So what am I doing to keep myself from rushing in?  My current strategy is a combination of frank honesty here and signing up for an e-course membership at GNOWFGLINS.  I'm starting with their fundamentals e-course that walks you a step at a time into implementing real foods strategies into your lifestyle.  I'm pretty sure I won't be using all the things I learn (I'm still a little squeamish on lacto-fermenting) but I'm really intrigued by most of it and looking forward to new experiences.  They recommend only doing a lesson a week, and for once I am going to try to follow through with that.  I usually just go through the whole thing as quickly as possible because I'm so excited and leave with my head spinning.  But if I try just adding one new thing per week, maybe even less on weeks where I'm adding a big thing, this might just work out.

As a side note, I threw together a pot of chili in an effort to continue using up our old food stock and made some of the Heavenly Homemaker's Whole Wheat cornbread muffins to go with it on Thursday.  I added in the cracklings from our Mother's Day lard rendering, which was a fun thing to try.  My husband says he'd like to try them in a salad next time.  In retrospect, I think they were a little too greasy for the muffins and he likes his cornbread sweet, not savory :).  Here's a picture of how they came out!

Comments

  1. Welcome to the world of real food! Any of us who are into "it" can tell you we're all on a journey. Take it slow and don't be intimidated by those who are (or seem to be) doing it all! Baby steps are the way to go, changing one thing at a time before adding or changing another, otherwise you'll be overwhelmed. Been there, done that!

    Thanks for visiting Happy in Dole Valley; blessings to you from another daughter of the King who is also blessed and then some. :) ~Lisa

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment